? servers

? players online

Mass Demotions

• Content Count:  2162

4 hours ago, Greggy G said:

For some time now our mindset was to focus on leniency and give multiple chances but, it’s become increasingly obvious that this way of thinking has gone too far and have made people feel too comfortable staying within our ranks without the risk of being removed dishonourably.

This system can work well, as long as you communicate with the people being given chances. Odds are that if they're not getting a talking to, or warned, they probably think that they're doing fine. Even if they know they aren't doing a good enough job, giving them that kick in the ass with a talking to or a warning would give you a decent amount of people putting in some more effort than they were.

If they are apathetic towards their role in the community, the warnings aren't going to make any difference in what they're doing, and the board will easily be able to see that through their channel discussions, responses to forum posts, and general plan for the server. Hell, I recall back during my time as AM we were pushing from moving away from meetings, not because of the time waste, but more for the ability to individualize the manager's roles for their servers. You can tell a lot about how much someone cares on their server by their ability to explain the happenings and plans moving forward. I'm sure if I pulled Dominic into a VC right now, he'd be able to outline 80% of his visions for bringing Jailbreak back, and that's the sort of commitment the community needs from AOs if yall are gonna pull the servers back from the brink of death. 

Obviously this all extends to more than AOs, but getting rid of the shit AOs will lead you to finding the CAs and SAs behind the work, and also expose all the yessirs. 

Bit of a rant lol, TLDR: Focus should be on finding and maintaining staff that have a coherent plan, and axe the ones that are clearly just sitting in ranks (ie. not making any changes, or just doing something dumb like a map change every 3 months). This all, and actually talking to people if they're acting up on the IA/public side of things can help maintain quality helpers that will only help grow the community into what it can be.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1634

15 hours ago, All Ts said:

You'd need a new VP, possibly an official stand in President and have Caution be owner if he doesn't have the time. Every AO other than Dominic, kabLe, Damon, Asher, Thrza, and Zero Two and even that might be a bit or very generous. Nearly all admins should be made to recommit to their position. They might be pissed off but if you can't handle it you probably don't really care to begin with. Just my 2c and I'm sure I could be slightly off but there's no way I'm that far. BD's should be required to take on a server or official project, demoted if they can't make it succeed so someone else can come in & do better.

14 hours ago, All Ts said:

Yes.

Mediocrity is a cancer in these communities and should always be snuffed out. You really have posts where people blame the death of the community on CS:GO when the game tops a million players a day, it's a symptom. It's extremely obvious how inactive admins become inactive CA's and that inactive CA's become inactive AO's. People with zero bans, no activity, almost no measurable contributions just rise the ranks lol. All of the sudden they love sitting on Discord and doing nothing so much so that it's the direction the community should take in their fucked up mind. The community won't run properly unless it takes a 180 from caring very little about being results oriented to having a tight-knit group of people who care. You stop being able to gauge a communities value based on the amount of fun everyone is having when the community is completely dead. It took an extremely long time for people to stop coping about whether the community was dying & admit to the issues. I'm trying to point out this issue of being overly lenient. Having standards of your staff makes people who do good work not loathe the dumb motherfuckers who are ruining everything due to a lack of proper oversight.

gunna-fire.gif

• Like 2
Edited by Strayyz

• Content Count:  193

11 hours ago, Gentoo said:

Man brought out the Führer lol.

But in all seriousness I feel like how things are going if we just have more higher ups that put more passion into the servers even if its just getting a pop going. I will say @Zero Two does this the most actively and props to him, for the most part its just a ping with some server shenanigans that is a simple but worthy start.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  5674

So obviously this thread is slightly dated at this point but I think it looks poor on us for threads to sit without a conclusion like this. I was gonna wrap it up, but people might want to respond after my post. All coming from a personal perspective here.

I can tell you right now that Caution is not really active much. We don't see much from him behind the scenes and obviously that's because he's insanely busy IRL and is in an entirely different time zone. Not sure how much this justifies in everyone's heads, but I pretty much called on both him and Gator to resign in the CA section a few weeks back. I think it's fair to say Gator is showing massive improvement with activity and is probably one of the more active Board members actually. I don't think calling for a stand-in for Caution is unreasonable or a dated opinion though. Just like I said in the community meeting, he called on me to be promoted on the basis that I hold people accountable and I plan to stick to that. That also includes him, and I think I'd still support someone taking over the spot. The spot of President, not Owner lol.

Our Board otherwise is pretty solid in terms of activity, though I did just address the fact that all we really need to be doing at this point is seeding the servers, and none of us are. And that includes me, but I also just wanted everyone to have the same sense of urgency I do. I also addressed the disorganization within the Board and we're working to get ourselves on the same page so we can work as a unit. The fact of the matter is that we have an insanely strong higher-up team, but with no where to aim the gun, the bullet is useless. I think once we figure out a clearer vision for where we want to go, things are really gonna start moving. As far as activity though, we're all pretty solid in that area. 

Our CA team is also pretty solid as far as activity goes. Pretty much all of them are involved in one way or another and they're all solid staff members. Same thing goes for AOs, we called everyone into question and they're being constantly assessed because of how integral their role is currently, and they're all doing well. With the admin team, we demoted a bunch of people (mostly Squad admins) for inactivity and warned a bunch of others. Additionally, we did demotions on the Events Team and Technical Team, and are still evaluating the entirety of the staff team as we speak. So as far as our staff team goes, we've done pretty well to trickle it down to the people who are still interested in SG and seeing it succeed.

I hope this pretty much addresses it. Though these are my own personal opinions, I think it's a pretty accurate assessment of how things are going behind the scenes right now. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  5674

I also said this in the CA section, but just to be brutally clear.. Caution is the 100% greatest option as a President and it's really unfortunate that he isn't around. I don't think anyone would advocate for him being completely cut off from involvement, or to even relinquish ownership. I also don't think there's anyone who can really fill his shoes, but it's about quality vs. activity as it stands. I'd argue a switch in the presidency to someone more active that can show face around the community more is beneficial for various reasons, but a big one is that it'd probably instill hope in people. Caution isn't some tyrant who is refusing to give up power and he has toyed with the idea of giving it up, but just decided not to. I believe he said something about temporarily having some more time on his hands soon, but I hope if he foresees the trend continuing for a while that he'll consider it again.

There's some good ol' transparency for you all.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  594

2 hours ago, Dominic said:

I can tell you right now that Caution is not really active much. We don't see much from him behind the scenes and obviously that's because he's insanely busy IRL and is in an entirely different time zone. Not sure how much this justifies in everyone's heads, but I pretty much called on both him and Gator to resign in the CA section a few weeks back. I think it's fair to say Gator is showing massive improvement with activity and is probably one of the more active Board members actually. I don't think calling for a stand-in for Caution is unreasonable or a dated opinion though. Just like I said in the community meeting, he called on me to be promoted on the basis that I hold people accountable and I plan to stick to that. That also includes him, and I think I'd still support someone taking over the spot. The spot of President, not Owner lol.

2 hours ago, Dominic said:

I also said this in the CA section, but just to be brutally clear.. Caution is the 100% greatest option as a President and it's really unfortunate that he isn't around. I don't think anyone would advocate for him being completely cut off from involvement, or to even relinquish ownership. I also don't think there's anyone who can really fill his shoes, but it's about quality vs. activity as it stands. I'd argue a switch in the presidency to someone more active that can show face around the community more is beneficial for various reasons, but a big one is that it'd probably instill hope in people. Caution isn't some tyrant who is refusing to give up power and he has toyed with the idea of giving it up, but just decided not to. I believe he said something about temporarily having some more time on his hands soon, but I hope if he foresees the trend continuing for a while that he'll consider it again.

There's some good ol' transparency for you all.

To be said if he gave up President you can still make a new rank of "Owner" for him and it still allows him to have the same input of president but lets a more active person stand up for president and VP as well if gator moves up to have it where a more active person. which owner can give him some more time away while he puts someone he trusts into president to call some shots from him while hes not active but all in all while hes active as "owner" he should still have some ultimate say

• Like 5

Reply to Thread